Fall is a period of transition in many ways, from the shorter days and cooling temperatures to falling leaves and the return to school. Fall also happens to be an excellent time to sell your house; while spring and summer are traditionally considered prime real estate seasons, autumn offers a unique opportunity to make your home an inviting space that appeals to prospective buyers. Here are five tips for staging your home this fall.
- Make use of seasonal decor. Take advantage of fall’s most appealing elements when staging your home. Start by decorating your front porch with pumpkins, gourds and an autumn wreath; inside, place a colorful foliage arrangement on the table and add a warm-toned throw blanket to create a seasonal ambiance. Just remember that less is often more in home staging – too much fall decor could have the opposite effect that you’re aiming for, and be overwhelming or off-putting to buyers.
- Highlight your fireplace. As the weather gets colder, there’s nothing quite as inviting as a crackling fire. If your home has a fireplace, make it a focal point during your fall staging. Clean out the hearth, arrange some logs and consider lighting a fire (safely, of course) during showings or open houses. It’s a great way to encourage buyers to envision themselves snuggled up on a chilly evening.
No fireplace? No problem. Decorate a section of your living space with candles to add a warm, flickering glow (bonus points if they’re seasonal fall candles – as long as they aren’t too pungent!). Flameless LED candles are a safe alternative if you’re concerned about open flames.
- Use cozy textiles and colors. Add warmth and texture to your home by swapping out lightweight summer linens for plush, textured pillows and throws, which can make your living spaces feel more snug. Consider using earthy and autumnal color palettes like deep oranges, rich browns and warm golds to enhance the comfort factor.
- Embrace warm lighting. As the sun sets earlier and evenings get longer, proper lighting is a must – especially if you’re staging your home. Ensure that your space is well-lit during showings by opening curtains and blinds to let in as much natural light as possible during the daytime. In the evenings, use warm-toned LED lighting to create an inviting vibe.
- Don’t forget your yard. Fall foliage can transform your outdoor space into an enchanting setting; just make sure to keep your yard maintained so that it looks well-kept. If you have a deck or patio, set up an outdoor seating area with cushions, blankets and twinkling string lights. This allows potential buyers to envision themselves drinking their morning coffee or enjoying an evening meal surrounded by the natural beauty of autumn.
Fall presents a fantastic opportunity to stage your home for potential buyers. By following these tips and highlighting your home’s cozy features with proper lighting and maintenance, you can create a welcoming ambiance that resonates with those looking for a space to call their own.